Shwenandaw Monastery


The Shwenandaw ("Golden Palace") monastery was so named because it originally formed part of King Mindon Min's (1853-1878) apartments in the royal palace. After Mindon died in the building, the new king Thibaw Min (1878-1885) had it dismantled and rebuilt on the present site (1880) as a monastery. Beautiful carving remains on the building, which is made of teak wood.