Injeong Hall was the throne room of the palace, and the venue for formal state ceremonies such as coronations and diplomatic events. Originally built in 1405, Injeongjeon was destroyed during the Imjin War and rebuilt in 1610, and then again after a fire in 1804. Modern windows and electric lighting were installed in 1908.
The building is erected on a stone platform overlooking a large ceremonial courtyard. It is five bays long with a double hip-and-gable roof; ten wenshou decorate the upper level. The Chinese-influenced interior focuses on an elevated platform throne, but the Joseon royal screen above and behind the throne is uniquely Korean. It depicts the sun (king) and moon (queen), mountains, waterfalls, and pine trees, a royal emblem of the Joseon dynasty.