East Wall, Ajlun Castle, Jordan
Ajlun, an Islamic castle, was built in 1183-1184, during the rule of Saladin. The castle was briefly taken by the Mongols in 1260, then reoccupied (1262) by the Mamlukes under Sultan Baybars.
Ajlun is located about 50km north of Amman, near Jarash. Its foundations measure about 100m on a side. The entrance was originally approached by a drawbridge, now a footbridge (D). Other defenses included machicolations (A), sloped glacis above a fosse (B), and arrow slits (C).