Jain Complex (Eastern Group):
The temples of Khajuraho were built by the rulers of the Chandella dynasty between the 10th and the 12th centuries. Legend has it that there were originally 85 temples, but there is no independent evidence for this number, and currently 25 temples have been identified. Earlier occupation dates back to the Gupta period. The temples withstood the ravages of time and Muslim invaders - amazingly, they seem to have been forgotten from the 13th century onward - until they were rediscovered by the British Captain T.S. Burt in 1838. The temples were probably used for worship by the royal family and court, and present a continuous development of central Indian temple architecture during the Chandella period.
The sculptures which cover the temple walls are justly famous, both as individual works of art and as architectural elements which combine in amazing profusion to decorate fabric of the building. They depict a heavenly court with major and minor divinities, attendants, beautiful maidens, dancers and musicians, mythical animals, and erotic couples.
Khajuraho is a World Heritage site. Originally supplied with abundant waterworks by means of tanks and canals, the temples are now displayed in a beautiful, park-like setting.