Shanhua Temple was established in the Tang dynasty. Most of its buildings were destroyed at the end of the Liao dynasty (1122), although the Main Hall survived. Other halls, including Sansheng Dian, were rebuilt by the Jin (1128-1143). San Sheng Dian is 5 x 4 bays, with a single eave and a hipped roof. Its name means "Hall of the Three Worthies" (Vairocana, Manjushri, and Samantabhadra).
Taken together, Datong's Huayan and Shanhua temples present a fortuitously-preserved and rare group of seven early buildings from the 12th-13th century, one of the largest such groups in China.